- Rollin’ in the Rye NBA podcast – March 24
- Falcons shouldn’t feel like underdogs as long as they have their defence
- The Toronto Raptors are starting to experience the downfall of not having Bismack Biyombo
- Nikola Jokic is slowly working his way towards greatness with the Nuggets
- Steph Curry puts Clint Capela in a frenzy before knocking down a 3-pointer
Kari Lehtonen makes a great glove save to rob Ivan Provorov
- Updated: December 10, 2016
Kari Lehtonen made Ivan Provorov pay for celebrating prematurely during a game against the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday afternoon.
Nearly 4 minutes into the 3rd period and the score tied at 1-1, the Dallas Stars were in the middle of a critical penalty kill. Just as the penalty clock expired, Provorov received a great pass from Nick Cousins and proceeded to fire a 1-timer at what appeared to be a wide-open net.
Unfortunately for Provorov, Lehtonen had other plans as he slid across the crease to reach out his glove just in time to make the stop. Despite the incredible glove save, the Stars went on to lose the game 4-2.
— Dallas Stars (@DallasStars) December 10, 2016
Lehtonen, 33, is off to a slow start so far this season and is quickly losing his grip on the Stars’ starting role in net. As of December 10, he has 6 wins, 2.91 goals against, and a .895 save percentage. Although the season is barely a quarter of the way through, the Stars will need Lehtonen to step up his game if they want any chance at making the playoffs.
With the loss, Dallas’ record has to 11-12-6, leaving them in 6th place in the Central Division. The Stars won’t have much time to rest, with them taking on the injury-riddled Chicago Blackhawks on Sunday at 7:00 p.m. EST.
All stats for this article are from Hockey-Reference.com.
You can find Michael Mazzei on Twitter @MichaelMazzei3.